Sunday, April 18, 2021

 

A New Favorite Airport

Not sure how many people have a favorite airport or even think much about airports, but I do. My old favorite was the Singapore Changi Airport (SIN) – it was my home airport, it is organized and clean and efficient and I could pick-up the MRT across the street from my apartment and ride it directly into the terminal. But Changi has been pushed aside by my new favorite: the Monterey Regional Airport (MRY).

Not only does MRY give you access to Monterey, Carmel by the Sea, Big Sur and the attractions of the Monterey Bay, but more importantly for me, it is over the hill from Carmel Valley Village (more about Carmel Valley later). In addition to the charms of the surrounding area are the charms of the airport itself. To begin with, it has only four gates that serve 40 flights per day and a very good restaurant that people actually go out of their way to eat at even when they are not travelling. But the best thing about the Monterey Regional Airport are the TSA agents.

I swear they must collect all the most polite and friendly agents from around the country and as a reward for their good character send them to Monterey. They are helpful and patient. They actually smile at the passengers and treat them like human beings. I even had one agent apologize to me for the long wait to get through the screening – there were five people in front of me and it took maybe three or four minutes from the time I got in line until I was putting my shoes back on.

A lot of people like to complain about the TSA – they may or may not be doing an important job – but if you want a good TSA experience and possibly a new favorite airport, head to the Monterey Regional Airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment